Most clutches are designed to last between 50,000 and 100,000 miles. However this is dependent on the make and model of your car, the year of the vehicle and the type of clutch. How long your clutch lasts is also dependent on the drivers driving habits too!
The time of a clutch’s useful lifetime can be reduced by stop-and-go traffic. It can also be reduced by towing heavy loads, abruptly engaging or dumping the clutch and keeping your foot halfway on the clutch while decelerating.
As long as you pay attention to your vehicle, then clutch failure symptoms are easy to spot. You need to listen out for noises and make sure you can feel changes in your clutch pedal performance.
If you are not aware that your clutch is about to fail, this can result in need for vehicle recovery in Cambridgeshire and the surrounding areas. As a recovery company in Cambridgeshire, we know this is something that many car owners want to avoid, so we have put together some common clutch failure symptoms to look out for.
- You need to listen out for noise from the clutch pedal when engaging or disengaging the clutch.
- You may hear the clutch ‘chattering’ when you accelerate.
- Alternatively, you could feel the clutch pedal pulsating when in use.
- If your clutch pedal remains stuck to the floor this is another symptom that your clutch is about to fail.
- In some cases, you may notice that your clutch pedal feels loose or spongy.
- If you find your clutch pedal feels hard to engage this could be a symptom of a clutch failure.
- You may notice a grinding, whirling or chirping noise from the transmission when the clutch is in neutral.
- Another symptom of clutch failure if that grinding occurs when shifting from one gear to another.
- It may be difficult to get the transmission into gear.
If you notice any of the above symptoms or just feel that there is something not quite right with your clutch then book your car in with a mechanic to get the problem fixed. If the problem is left or ignored more damage could be caused to the car and this can result in your vehicle breaking down.
At Cambridge Car Solutions, we have a professional team of breakdown experts who know exactly how to spot signs of clutch failure. If you find yourself in need of fast and effective, 24/7 vehicle recovery in Cambridgeshire, please contact our team on 07913 204238 or online through our contact form.