Following 2008’s financial crash – and the subsequent ‘credit crunch’ – car scrappage schemes became commonplace. A year after the economy went belly up, the Government decided to introduce a scheme of its own, giving people £2,000 off a new car if they scrapped one aged 10 years or more.
The idea was to stimulate the new car market, and the scheme certainly did that. According to Parkers, 390,000 new cars were sold as a result. After the Government scheme wound down, some manufacturers continued to offer scrappage discounts. Though not as well-known or widely publicised as the 2009 scheme, offers are still available from a number of manufacturers.
How are current ‘scrappage schemes’ different?
Despite still being called scrappage schemes, the modern manufacturer-backed offerings work quite differently to the original.
Back in 2009, if you signed on the dotted line for a scrappage discount, your old car legally had to be taken off the road. Nowadays, this doesn’t always happen; if your car really is worth very little or isn’t worth repairing, it’ll be scrapped – but some may find their way into the hands of a new owner. You’ll get a discount on a new car either way, though.
The current scrappage schemes
A number of manufacturers currently offer scrappage schemes, though each one works slightly differently.
- Ford: Up to £2,000 off a new B-Max, C-Max, Grand C-Max, Fiesta, Focus or Kuga
- Hyundai: Between £1,500 and £5,000 off an i10, i20, i30, i40, ix20, Tucson, Santa Fe or Ioniq Hybrid
- Kia: Savings of up to £2,250 off the list price of a Picanto, Rio or Stonic
- Lexus: Up to £4,000 off a range of models, or £3,500 off the UX.
- Mazda: Discounts of up to £5,000 are being offered on new 2, 3, 6 and CX-3 models
- Renault: Up to £3,000 off a Captur, £2,000 off a Clio or £2,250 off the remainder of the range
- Toyota: Save as much as £4,000 on a new Aygo, Yaris, RAV4, CH-R, Prius or Land Cruiser
Scrap my car Norfolk
Looking to scrap your car in the Norfolk area? Look no further than Cambridge Car Solutions. Learn more about our scrap my car Norfolk service today and input your car’s details for a free quote.