Do I Need To Fill Any Documents In When Scrapping The Car?

So, the time has come to wave goodbye to your old car and hand it over to be scrapped. You’ll be pleased to hear that scrapping your car is a straightforward process, but you will need to let the DVLA know that your car is no longer on the road or you could face a fine of up to £1,000.

There’s only one document to fill in, though – and that can be done online too.


When your car is being collected to be scrapped, you’ll need to give the company your V5C document but tear off the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section.

It’s important you hang onto this slip, because it has a reference number on it which you’ll need if you want to notify the DVLA online that your vehicle has been scrapped. Alternatively, you could fill the yellow form in directly and post it to the DVLA.

Whichever method you choose to let them know, it’s critical that you do it promptly. If you don’t, you could find yourself facing a hefty fine.

Once the DVLA receives your notification, they’ll send you out a Certificate of Destruction, officially proving that your vehicle has been destroyed and ensuring that it’ll never see the road again. You’ll also receive a refund for any remaining vehicle tax, the direct debit for which will be cancelled automatically.

Scrap My Car Norfolk

Looking to scrap your car in Norfolk, Cambridgeshire or Suffolk? Here at Cambridge Car Solutions, we’ve been collecting cars to be recycled since 2014. No matter the condition of your vehicle – even if it doesn’t start or drive – we can collect it for free and pay you a fair price based on its scrap value.

Our friendly team will even fill in the paperwork for you if you wish, delivering a hassle-free service from start to finish. Head over to our Scrap My Car Norfolk page today for more information and to obtain a free quote.

Proud owner of Cambridge Car Solutions, a family run business offering both Vehicle Recycling & 24/7 Breakdown Recovery.