With the dreaded winter just around the corner we thought we would publish the 6 most common reasons for vehicle breakdown so you can be prepared!
Weather is cold, wet and the dark nights are very much here, that’s why we thought we’d write a short post about the most common causes of the broken down vehicles we recover in the Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk and ways you can prevent a breakdown from happening. All of the faults below can be prevented if you keep your car serviced and the normal checks are made regularly.
Tyre Conditions – Checking your tyres every week is essential as this is the only part of the car that touches the road and if your tyres aren’t in good condition it can seriously increase your chances of having an accident. We like you to be able to save money when you can, so carrying a spare tyre is a very sensible option as it will help save lots of money on expensive recovery charges as we can assist you on the side of the road. Also if your tyres are looking like low on tread, give us a call and we can help you source some for your car.
- Flat and Faulty Battery – The cold weather the UK normally faces can affect parts of your engine and also your battery. We always have recovery requests which has been caused by faulty batteries, although due to our experience and ease of replacing it isn’t a big problem. We stock a range of batteries for all vehicles, so do get in touch if you find yours has stopped working.
- Tyre Conditions – Checking your tyres every week is essential as this is the only part of the car that touches the road and if your tyres aren’t in good condition it can seriously increase your chances of having an accident. We like you to be able to save money when you can, so carrying a spare tyre is a very sensible option as it will help save lots of money on expensive recovery charges as we can assist you on the side of the road. Also if your tyres are looking like low on tread, give us a call and we can help you source some for your car.
- Overheating – A car or vehicle overheating can be caused by many different reasons and the variation of the problems can be minor to catastrophic – that’s why if you ever see your cars temperature rise significantly and definitely if you see any steam from your engine you should pull over immediately in a safe location, turn your engine off and seek assistance (give us a call and we’d be happy to help).
- Incorrect Fuel or Damage to Fuel Lines – If you’ve put the wrong fuel in a vehicle you’ll understand how gutting it feels, this is also a problem because not only will your car stop running – it could shorten the life of the engine and cause significant damage. Also if your fuel lines break or deteriorate over time, it could stop your engine from being able to run correctly. If you have any problems with your fuel, stop your car at the nearest safe point and give us a call for assistance and to prevent this from happening remember to make sure your car is regularly serviced and to fill up with the right fuel!
- Serviceable Parts – Serviceable parts such as filters and brake pads are often common causes of a car breaking down, make sure that your car is serviced at the set intervals to reduce the risk of a part malfunctioning. To find out when your car needs to be serviced, check your owners manual or call your local main dealer.
- Driver Error – At the moment the roads are often cold, wet, icy and very slippery! This means all drivers need to take extra care and adjust their speed as there is much less grip and a higher chance of your car losing control. Take time when going round corners and make sure that you keep a safe distance away from cars in front and behind you.
The above reasons for a vehicle breakdown are what we have experienced from our years on the road providing recovery services to Cambridgeshire and surrounding areas. If you are unfortunate as to have an accident or breakdown, get in touch with us as soon as possible and we will help you through the whole process and get you home safely – remember to not panic and get yourself to a safe place as soon as possible.
A good idea is to save our emergency recovery number in your mobile phone – 07913204238, this is sensible as if the unfortunate ever does happen you can get in touch with us quickly so we can get you home safely and in good time. We even provide a drop-off service if you would like to drop your vehicle off somewhere like your local garage and then be taken home.